Welcome to Animus Talk

This is where users of Animus Heart can share ideas,
solve problems and inspire fellow enthusiasts.

Animus Heart?

Presence and IP-Adresses

Decided to create a new topic for this.
For 2 days I am affected by a presence problem, I always seem to be away, no matter what I try.
The IPs in the Members section all show up as v6 addresses but none of them matches the adresses that my phone shows, but I have to admit that I don’t have any idea how to deal with IPv6 addresses. :confused:
My router always adds the same IPv4 address after connecting my phone.
I am completely out of ideas. :slightly_frowning_face:

Likely your gw/router where the heart is connected have ipv6 enabled and assigns v6 local addresses to devices, which are then used for local network communication when both ends understands it.

But if it’s only been for two days something must have enabled it. Firmware upgrade somewhere? Accidentally changed something? Gremlins? :slight_smile:

As a workaround disabling ipv6 in your gw/router should work. I would however recommend to submit a bug report with relevant logs/screenshots first, this sounds like some silly bug in the Heart that should be fixed in the long run.

And yes, we’re running out of IPv4 addresses for real nowadays: https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/the-ripe-ncc-has-run-out-of-ipv4-addresses

So everyone needs to get their act together and start supporting IPv6 for real, my pessimistic view is that it’s only a matter of time until you’ll get a NAT:ed ipv4 address at home (the real ipv4:s will go to well-paying commercial interests).

3 Likes

Yes, my router assigns ULAs (just learned this abbreviation and also found the option fot that a few minutes ago, thanks for the hint) but there were no Gremlins at work. :upside_down_face:

The member addresses always showed up as v6, but everything work fine, so I thought this could be the way it was meant to be.

Meanwhile it works again, still with v6, but now the adressess match.
What happened? Before creating this topic, I deleted my home in the app and after this also completely logged out and back in, which worked without having to add a pin (?!), but still no presence :thinking:.

About 8 hours later I received the email with the pin, only then I had to enter it to the app, which finally fixed my presence issue.

All in all I think you are right, this is worth a bug report.

I know that v4-addresses are running out, but not in my local network. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was talking about this with a colleague some time ago, he also thinks this will happen, and he is a very pessemistic guy. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks like this finally led me to the solution.
After experiencing the presence problem everytime I’ve been not at home for a while, I checked my router settings again.
Found an option saying something like “Obtain global address only via DHCPv6”, after activating this and reconnecting my phone it instantly showed up with it’s IPv4-address in the GUI.
I really hope this will persist.

One more mystery solved, as the presence problem occured again today, looking at the members I found that the Heart, for whatever reason, has suddenly found my phone with it’s IPv6 adress again.

Looking behind the scenes, it has been shown that the Heart seems to use ARPING to detect presence, which won’t work with IPv6.

1 Like